Monday, August 1, 2011

Maiden Voyage

Hello Everyone.
Not that anyone out there will give 2 shits about what I have to say, but I figured writing down some of my thoughts and rantings could be fun, and hell, even therapeutic. I am a pharmacy technician at an independent pharmacy that specializes in Psychiatry. Because technicians get paid in bags of feces and the occasional lunch from drug reps, I also moonlight teaching Pharmacy Technology at a technical school at night. In my opinion, which is worth about as much as my wages (translated, jack-shit), I have a pretty solid knowledge base of the principles and practice of my trade. That being said, I am not a pharmacist, although I am pretty certain that I am better at slinging drugs and have more knowledge about how that is done than some of the morons/fucktards/megalomaniacs/rejects/whathaveyou that have the designation of PharmD. I emphasize the word "some" for this reason; most of my favorite people in life are pharmacists. And not your bottom-shelf types, most pharmacists I have had the pleasure of knowing are nice, thoughtful, genuine, intellegent and funny-as-shit people.

Enough with the fellatio of my superiors.

Working in a psychiatric pharmacy has many challenges but also offers endless entertainment; while there are no shortage of asshole patients/junkies, many of them are restricted by their 3rd-party payor to one pharmacy. In essence, what I can get away with, some in chain pharms could get the ax for. A wonderful example of just such an idea is our compliance packaging service. The patient comes in once or twice a week and is handed a customized bubble-pack designed to keep them on the straight and narrow. If they were issued a 7-day supply on Monday and come in on Wednesday for more, I get to say my favorite word in all of the english lexicon; "No." Two simple letters that give me sadistic joy throughout the day. And when they get mad at this response, which most are want to do, they don't get to have their prescriptions transferred; they are fucking stuck. I guess they should have thought about that before hand and made those ativan and vicodin last the full seven days, eh? Although that brings up another point to ponder; are these people capable of any kind of forethought? In my experience the answer, yet again, is my favorite word, no, but I digress. I have worked in chain retail before and can't imagine having to put up with that shit now. I get to do what I do, because I have been lucky-as-shit and found a niche. And while I bitch about how pissed-off I get at patients and prescribers alike, I love my niche.

No comments:

Post a Comment